Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

~ KILL BILL ~ House of Blue Leaves

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eonblue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: ~ KILL BILL ~ House of Blue Leaves Reply with quote

Been working on this for the past 2 months on weekends
First time i ever made a scene from a movie, I actually don't own the movie i just found some screen caps and used them for references.

Polygons 19,568
If triangulated around 30,000

Last edited by eonblue on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great work there.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work! Very Happy Can we use one of these pics for our gallery?
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice model, but I don't like how it's lit here. Too little contrast for my taste. Also, the lightmap seems to have a way too low resolution at the ground, look at the last screenshot. Maybe you could split up the ground to increase the "resolution".
eonblue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Good work! Very Happy Can we use one of these pics for our gallery?
Of course

@Mr.Fletcher: I know what u mean, I had problems fitting the entire scene on a 4096 x 4096. initially i did lightmap the floors first (they did look nice) and then tried to do the walls and i would get the out of memory warning. In the end i got tired of lightmapping around 75% by hand then it telling me i ran outta of memory, so i just lightmapped the entire scene and this is what i got.

And the contrast your probably right. But i like the look of well lit indoors, but maybe that's just me. In any case ill see what i can do.
MeinenM
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all that i have to say is that thats rather amazing
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eonblue wrote:
@Mr.Fletcher: I know what u mean, I had problems fitting the entire scene on a 4096 x 4096. initially i did lightmap the floors first (they did look nice) and then tried to do the walls and i would get the out of memory warning. In the end i got tired of lightmapping around 75% by hand then it telling me i ran outta of memory, so i just lightmapped the entire scene and this is what i got.
4096? That's insane. That's huge memory wise, a gigantic waste.

The problem of coarse lightmaps comes because people don't want to break down their geometry.

You need to decide what the largest polygon in your scene will be and assign it a resolution like 128. And assign your smallest polygon a resolution (8).

That big white thing you have on the ground under the stairs should be your largest polygon. Everything else should be segmented to have polygons of that size or smaller. But ideally, you want your map to be laid out as a grid of even sized polygons.

The second you have 1 polygon that is bigger than the one you decided was going to be your biggest size, you throw all your lightmapping off, and will get uneven results.

That's a very nice scene. I knew what it was the second I saw it. Crazy 88!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i fail to understand the entire scene fits on one 4096 x 4096 15meg bmp lightmap. and i did try to lightmap the floors at 128x 128 and the wood trim at 8x8 and so forth and i still ran out of memory, and the white thing on the floor is actually 16 faces hence i did the wood floors first
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eonblue wrote:
Sorry i fail to understand the entire scene fits on one 4096 x 4096 15meg bmp lightmap. and i did try to lightmap the floors at 128x 128 and the wood trim at 8x8 and so forth and i still ran out of memory, and the white thing on the floor is actually 16 faces hence i did the wood floors first
4096x4096x32 = 64 megs, not 15.

I couldn't tell how many polygons that white thing was, I was just using the size of the object as a visual guide to what should be your biggest polygon size. You are getting poor shadows on the ground. No polygon should be wider or longer that that size, to get good coverage.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eon, you don't own the movie, but have you seen it? The fight scene on that set is amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea kill bill is a great movie I love the sword fighting. i just don't own many dvd's, don't like to wach movies more than one or 2 times. when trying to make this i spent some time trying to find out what bar they filmed this at, its actually just a big set in china (the only indoor film studio big enough for this scene)

Ah ok i get what u mean, the hand rails on the stairs is probably what screwed it up (take a look). but it will take me alot of work to fix it since i had a problem with grouping (see the bugs section) and ended up merging it all. I would have to make it again from scratch Sad , anyway thanks for the heads up for next time.

Oh and i checked the lightmap the final one is on one 12 meg 2048 x 2048 BMP ( at 4096 its 48 megs your right. owch)
i use 2 computers one to map and one to lightmap. the lightmapping deled was set to texture size max 128x min 8x and total lightmap size of 2048.

Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fix those railings in a few seconds. Really no need to use grouping. The space bar is a powerful thing. Wink

Fix your railings, and any other surface that breaks the size rule, and then only use 1 or 2 on your lumel blending. 8-128(or even 64) will then give you great shadows.

Avoid using giant 4096x4096 textures for your sheet. No matter how they are stored on disk, the gpu will expand them to the same format (24/32bit) as everything else as an optimization, and they will hog memory. Unless you use DXT compression on them.

Only use a 4K texture if you are filling 3 or 4 1K textures. You don't need that many shadows for 1 single room.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work eonblue !
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: