Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another 3d modeler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Another 3d modeler Reply with quote

I am also working on an Open Source Collaborative 3d Modeling program, similar to DeleD 3D Editor. Except this one is C# .NET with MySQL in the backend.

http://www.tagcma.com/portal.php?what=link&item=20041104060250234

Recorded a few movies in everybodies' favorite formats:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tagelflax/TagCMA_1_20_1.avi?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tagelflax/TagCMA_1_20_1.mov?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tagelflax/TagCMA_1_20_2.avi?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tagelflax/TagCMA_1_20_2.mov?download

Last edited by tgraupmann on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I saw your posts on Flipcode as well, nice project. Just why exactly are you posting this in the DeleD 3D Modeling forums? And why do you call Delgine a modeler? The name of the modeler is DeleD, Delgine is who we are.

It is almost as if you just saw the (slightly misinformed) DeleD 0.914 releas post on Flipcode and thought 'hey, let's advertise my own competing product on their forums'. But no, that couldn't be it, as that would be rather thoughtless and rude Wink
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
It is almost as if you just saw the (slightly misinformed) DeleD 0.914 releas post on Flipcode and thought 'hey, let's advertise my own competing product on their forums'. But no, that couldn't be it, as that would be rather thoughtless and rude Wink

No not that at all. I had no idea there were that many Open Source 3d modelors out there.

Since all these projects are Open Source, I don't really see them as competing. They can all get better by looking at each other's features. And since the source is public, it should be easy to interchange modules.

I already see some commonalities in DeleD. Like the Scene Inspector vs my Scene Browser. It also has a Object Inspector which seems like an intuiitive feature to add. And you already have the dreaded scrollbar of which I still have to add.

Not being rude on purpose. Just enthused by the Open Source process...
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Delgine Team is a small group of people consisting of two experienced programmers and a talented 3D artist. Delgine stands for Delphi (the programming language we use) and engine (derived from the phrase 3D engine). The team members are listed in the table on the right:

How did the DeleD project get started? Was it the typical start a game project and realize making tools for the game is as big as starting a game project?

I may have made a mistake and thought the project was OpenSource since I found Delgine in the Open Source section of 3dlinks. Plz delete my posts if you find it offensive ;P

Plug: DeleD is far more advanced than what I have so far...
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just testing if you were just slightly misinformed or spamming. Good to see the latter is not the case, as you product is (like I said in my first post) pretty cool and doesn't need empty advertising.

And no, you are right, we are not open source. Simply because at some point in the future we'd like to start and try making a living out of this (and similar) tools, and we don't believe that would be possible (or at least a lot more difficult) if we open-sourced the product (we have had some discussions about that in the past Wink ).

That said, it is really cool that your product _is_ open source, and I see no need to delete this post at all. (just moved it to a more appriopriate thread). Keep up the good work!

(I'll let Jeroen answer the question about the DeleD origin. I just stepped into the project when it had already matured quite a lot, he is the 'founding father' of Delgine and DeleD)
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started out having similar discussions on Open Source vs non-open source.

We decided we will go through a publisher to make the game, but provide the tools to edit content as Open Source. That way we can gain a user base that also creates content.

As for the making $$$, there's that. I can tell ya. I'm compelled to work on this night and day outside of work. Yet, I can't get rid of the sentiment I have for newbies in need of tools like this. And don't want to charge. I have an idea of using a subscription model that will cover hosting. But that is in the not to distant future.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I'll let Jeroen answer the question about the DeleD origin. I just stepped into the project when it had already matured quite a lot, he is the 'founding father' of Delgine and DeleD)

I'll get into the DeleD history when I get back from work. Smile
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the 'compelled to work on the project ouside working hours', the same holds for us, but we'd like to spend _all day_ working on these projects, not just the spare hours.

As far as sentiment for the newcomers in need of tools, we'll keep the free Lite version going.
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
About the 'compelled to work on the project ouside working hours', the same holds for us, but we'd like to spend _all day_ working on these projects, not just the spare hours.

Same here. Except, I'll be at work going over bank accounting ledgers thinking I could be working on it right now. Or I'll be going from meeting to meeting and at every lull, I'll find myself sketching out a new feature that I can add at the end of the day,
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History of the world... err... Delgine... and DeleD.... and well, us!

I've always loved graphics coding. Seeing graphics-demos (around 10 years ago, omg i'm getting old!) actually made me get into programming in the first place. I've started writing simple tutorials about how to code graphics effects (google Vulture/Outlaw Triad if you're interested in old-school assembly code of starfields, wormholes etc Wink), wrote a Module player, a raycasting engine (like wolfenstein) and various other things. Then I met this 51 year old retired guy called Jim from the USA who had read my tutorials and we teamed up to create something bigger and better. Alas, Delgine was born (Del from Delphi, gine from 3D engine as some of you might already know). The deal was simple: I would create a simple leveleditor (all in my spare time as I was already working fulltime), Jim would write a 3D engine and when both were done, we would create a full 3D rpg game with those tools. We came a long way but then Jim had to start working again and couldn't spend anymore time on the project. By pure chance, I met PJ on the internet. He released he was talking to Vulture/OT which made him very enthousiastic because he actually had read my tutorials a few years earlier (small world!). So he took Jim's place and started Parnassus, our new 3D engine. DeleD was already pretty much suitable to create levels with and I was constantly adding new features. I realised that creating tools is just as big an undertaking as creating an actual game with those tools. Parnassus did not have such progress because PJ had to spend very much time on his fulltime job. It's hard to write a 3D engine from skratch, that's for sure. So sometime last year, PJ stopped working on Parnassus and started helping me out with DeleD. Reason? Because we had noticed that DeleD had become pretty popular in the last year or so, with 30 to 40 new downloads a day (without advertising much), much more popular than a Delphi-based 3D engine could ever become, we figured. PJ and I are a great team: we know what we want and how to achieve it and we are able to divide the workflow amongst ourselfs perfectly. We hardly ever disagree on anything and if we do, we discuss things and come to a decision that way (believe me, I've seen other things in my professional carreer, let me tell you!). I already had planned that DeleD should have 4 basic functions: low-polygon functions, CSG, Skinning and Lighting. I am concentrating on the first 2, PJ will implemented the last 2.

That's basicly the history of the project. And I didn't even tell you about Dave yet! Dave once emailed me (about 1.5 years ago?) asking me how much DeleD cost because he wanted to buy it. It's freeware! Well, Dave has been part of the team ever since because he really likes the simplicity of how to achieve things in DeleD. He's creating very impressive 3D models (and textures lately!) which inspires us to enhance DeleD more and more, which inspires him to create even more goodlooking models etc. Wink

Because we'd like to spend all day on graphical programs like DeleD, we've decided to create a PRO version and go for it. Selling it for a low price and creating a large userbase will hopefully enable us to start working fulltime on DeleD and all the other things we have in mind. We'll keep you posted! Very Happy

OMG, just like the old times when I wrote tutorials... once i start typing, I can't stop! Shocked Wink

Edit:

Quote:
Same here. Except, I'll be at work going over bank accounting ledgers thinking I could be working on it right now. Or I'll be going from meeting to meeting and at every lull, I'll find myself sketching out a new feature that I can add at the end of the day

That's exactly how I feel when I'm working at my fulltime job: my job just can't beat working on DeleD and that's the very reason I want to start making a living out of it - nothing motivates me more! Very Happy
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dave has been part of the team ever since

Enjoying every munite of it Wink

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
That's exactly how I feel when I'm working at my fulltime job: my job just can't beat working on DeleD and that's the very reason I want to start making a living out of it - nothing motivates me more! Very Happy

I also know the feeling, when I'm at school or even worse at home slogging on with a huge pile of coursework o home work, all I want to be doing is working on MOOd on one of my other projects. Oh I can't wait till the summer, 6 weeks of no school work I can just do what I want all day, woo.
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
I also know the feeling, when I'm at school or even worse at home slogging on with a huge pile of coursework o home work, all I want to be doing is working on MOOd on one of my other projects. Oh I can't wait till the summer, 6 weeks of no school work I can just do what I want all day, woo.

This is bad. But I actually took two weeks paid vacation to work on my project around the holidays. Ok, we did a little shopping, but not much!
tgraupmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
History of the world... err... Delgine... and DeleD.... and well, us!

How did you go about your advertising? I've got this annoying habit of posting in forums and with each post I gain about 20 or so hits per day.

I've heard posting on downloads.com increases exposure. But there has to be droves of interested people that want to do modeling in a collaborative fashion.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgraupmann wrote:
This is bad. But I actually took two weeks paid vacation to work on my project around the holidays. Ok, we did a little shopping, but not much!

Whats bad? My Grammer? The fact I'm actually doing schoolwork? Or I get too many holiday? Very Happy Well hopefuly things will die down a school within the next few weeks and I can get back to my normal work load.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: