Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3DS plugin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: 3DS plugin Reply with quote

Where can I find the 3DS export plugin? Is it no longer available? Sad
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,click on the plugins tab in DeLeD.At the bottom click on download more Wink .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
mrniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already looked there but there isn't a 3DS export plugin anymore.
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know, there has never been a 3ds exporter, only an importer..., though I might be mistaken.
mrniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...my mistake then. Embarassed I thought there was also a 3DS export plugin. Crying or Very sad
Lascar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until now I have never heard of dxs or dmf formats.
Before x format was popular 3ds was the top model format.
A 3ds export function is something that I have also looked for and wished was available.
It's seems the present export formats are very restrictive and a 3ds export function would allow models to be used in many other editors and 3D creations making it a much more user friendly programme.
It's a real shame this is not available Sad
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lascar wrote:
Until now I have never heard of dxs or dmf formats.
Before x format was popular 3ds was the top model format.
A 3ds export function is something that I have also looked for and wished was available.
It's seems the present export formats are very restrictive and a 3ds export function would allow models to be used in many other editors and 3D creations making it a much more user friendly programme.
It's a real shame this is not available Sad

Having used quite a few 3D Modelling programmes, I disagree that DeleD has limited exporting functions. There are many pretty good programmes that only output to POV Ray, or Picture formats, simply because they are scene creators with photography in mind, not machinima or exporting to game engines.
There is a very good OBJ exporter.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the plugins for more info. You can download exporters/importers for several formats there.
Lascar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars posted:
Having used quite a few 3D Modelling programmes, I disagree that DeleD has limited exporting functions. There are many pretty good programmes that only output to POV Ray, or Picture formats, simply because they are scene creators with photography in mind, not machinima or exporting to game engines.
There is a very good OBJ exporter.

Regrettably the OBJ format is not a format I have ever worked with.
Having concentrated on formats available in open source programmes 3ds was almost universally supported, so its the one I am most used to.
Personally, I find it a little frustrating if the modelling programme can only export in limited formats (other than x format).
It's horses for courses - I too have used a number of 3d editors and some of the best sadly fail at certain things.
From my game creations experience, where I did everything (models, artwork, textures, renders, installer building, etc.) I used many programmes, they all did their bit but no one programme did it all. All of the files and objects had to be exportable and importable.
From what little experience I have had of DeleD it appears to be a very intuitive and useful programme. I think the coders have done a brilliant job and I certainly want to keep working with DeleD. However I'm find the export/import functions wanting.
Perhaps I am being lazy, but I see no fun in having to learn a new programme from the bottom up just because it has limited export/import functions.
Perhaps a 3ds export function needs to be added to the “Can we please have list”.
Its certainly on my wish list Wink
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBJ is a well established format, created by wavefront I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obj
It gainned popularity over the lwo and lws formats, long before 3DS. I agree 3DS is a mainstay format for 3d models, but DeleD does support the latest model formats, namely X and Collada.

If I absolutely must have a 3DS version of a model, I export from DeleD in a OBJ format and drop it into Blender, exporting to 3DS. I have used a few so called conversion programmes, but they mess with the UV maping, textures etc...

I'm relatively new to DeleD myself, just got here about 4 months before it became open source. Its a good programme for my workflow.

Checkout:
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBJ is the most common interchanging format. 3DS is becoming obsolete but still has good support. The "new version" of 3DS is FBX from the same inventor but its somewhat in competition with Collada.
Lascar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars posted:
…. If I absolutely must have a 3DS version of a model, I export from DeleD in a OBJ format and drop it into Blender, exporting to 3DS ….

Nice one.
All my support programmes use 3ds format, so not being able to export in that format has made me reluctant to delve deeper into DeleD.
I have blender installed but can't get on with it very well, removed it from my other machines.
You have just saved me from un-installing blender from my main machine and increased my enthusiasm to get to know DeleD better.
Thanks
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes lol.... I've tried Blender.. it is very feature rich... but I figured I have a life to live, rather than trawl through its manuals.. just loading a texture is a converluted excerise.

I keep it around because of its good export/import formats.

Checkout:
Lascar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandmaster B posted:
OBJ is the most common interchanging format. 3DS is becoming obsolete but still has good support. The "new version" of 3DS is FBX from the same inventor but its somewhat in competition with Collada.

Thanks for the info.
I have been out of modelling for a few years.
Embarrassingly, most of my programmes are still using the older formats.
Unfortunately, the newer versions are about five times the price I paid for mine Shocked
Lascar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went searching for 3D models for inspiration. I noticed that 3DS format is still widely used, so perhaps 3DS format compatibility (export and import) is not such a silly idea.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: