Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unreal engine 3 now free!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Unreal engine 3 now free!! Reply with quote

http://www.udk.com/

way to go Smile
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. This is really going to undercut Garage Games. It's nice to finally have some competition now that Unity and UDK are out for free. Plus C4 is finally starting to mature into a complete engine.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
LOL. This is really going to undercut Garage Games. It's nice to finally have some competition now that Unity and UDK are out for free. Plus C4 is finally starting to mature into a complete engine.

I don't think GarageGames has anything to worry about with this.
Quote:

Use of the UDK for noncommercial purposes is free of charge. If you are going to use the UDK for any commercial purpose or in any way that is not specifically authorized in the end-user license agreement (EULA), you must agree to appropriate commercial terms.

Lisensing:
$99.00 royalty bearing
$2500.00 per seat

Competition is a good thing tho. It makes all the engines better.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they need to, i don't know much about Torque and co, but there are things that no other current engine can provide like a huge fan base of existent modder teams which will sure enjoy this 'surprise'. It runs on all three major platforms and there is a huge support (beyondunreal...) and there's middleware like SpeedTree, Scaleform, PhysX and so on already integrated. Plus thoose nifty tools like Unreal MPC which currently no other engine has. And there are hundreds of UE3 based games out there that have proven that it can work (Commercially). Not to speak of all Plugins for Major 3D apps (which are usually already in the retail) that simplifies Pipelines. And lot's of other things too of course.

Does anybody know if a Crew or Company releases a game (paid Licensee) can release the editor for modding purposes ?

If so, that's another pro Wink

I guess there will be a similar pattern like when Apple Released the iPhone SDK. Hundreds of little companies founded. We will see a huge amount of indie games in the future.... powered by UE3.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it's a lot of work to get used to it and to get anything done with it? So it won't be THAT interesting for a single person or two making games. Could be wrong on this though!
//edit
Still, great news Wink
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't it hard to make a game on your own or in a 2 person team anyway:P?

I find unreal pretty cool to work with, you have to get used to any software, so this one too, it's just the old UE3 with some extras so I know a portion of it already:)
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I can't even get an example game to play without crashing.

They do have a pretty cool looking editor built in tho.
asus
8 gigs ram
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:
Quote:

Use of the UDK for noncommercial purposes is free of charge. If you are going to use the UDK for any commercial purpose or in any way that is not specifically authorized in the end-user license agreement (EULA), you must agree to appropriate commercial terms.

Lisensing:
$99.00 royalty bearing
$2500.00 per seat
If you can afford to make something that looks good in Unreal 3, than you can afford to pay the licensing terms.

This really isn't aimed at random hobbyists. It encourages big studios finally try out the engine for free, and if they like it, license the full thing. It will no doubt bring in new customers, and the revenue stream from the small guys will be almost negligible. It also helps the UDK become a defacto standard among students so studios will have their arms twisted to license it, as alll upcoming talent will be intimately familiar with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Ive been waiting to try this out. Thank you for the post
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaark wrote:
trucker2000 wrote:
Quote:

Lisensing:
$99.00 royalty bearing
$2500.00 per seat
If you can afford to make something that looks good in Unreal 3, than you can afford to pay the licensing terms.

This really isn't aimed at random hobbyists. It encourages big studios finally try out the engine for free, and if they like it, license the full thing. It will no doubt bring in new customers, and the revenue stream from the small guys will be almost negligible. It also helps the UDK become a defacto standard among students so studios will have their arms twisted to license it, as alll upcoming talent will be intimately familiar with it.

Devious, aren't they? Very Happy
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:
Daaark wrote:
trucker2000 wrote:
Quote:

Lisensing:
$99.00 royalty bearing
$2500.00 per seat

Devious, aren't they? Very Happy

No. Actually quite smart. Think about it. A lot of colleges will be teaching game design and creation using the engine. There will be a lot of graduating students out there looking for jobs with those big companies that use the unreal engine. Are those companies going to use the old UR3? No. They are going to buy UR4. Smart people.
asus
8 gigs ram
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually deviousness has a requisite of being smart Wink.

And meh about college game design degrees. I believe its a lot smarter going for a general CS/E (or even better software engineering). Game designers are dime a dozen, good programmers and engineers are not.

Now for artists on the other hand, that's somewhat different..
fik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a little test with Deled's collada exporter and as long as you open in text editor and add this as first line
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
(maybe needs this adding to expoter) it works with UDK Very Happy

castle is Mr. Fletcher's which comes with Deled as I'm sure you all know.
I didn't import all the textures though just put some on from UDK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: