Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Announcement: DeleD goes Open Source!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do what I can with regards to DeleD programming of course Smile

I have done a small amount already (2d rectangular selection in 3d view), and I should have some more free time at the end of this month.

Hey, perhaps we could spread the word at these pascal forums to see if we can get more Pascal/Delphi programmers onboard?

www.pascalgamedevelopment.com

cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
Petaa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will extra textures from package deals be part of new DeleD CE?
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, kinda frustrating for one like me that bought the Pro version just a few weeks ago Evil or Very Mad
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisu wrote:
Hm, kinda frustrating for one like me that bought the Pro version just a few weeks ago Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, I'd be a bit annoyed in your position too. I got PRO a few years back, before the price was raised, so I feel I got more than my money's worth. But I don't think the people who got it recently will really feel that way when DeleD becomes totally free in a few months.
harper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Sorry to read this Reply with quote

I am really sad to read this. With DeleD i found not only a software, but a team of programmers AND community, that develops a software with such profession and (heart?)... Planning to use DeleD for some years to get my project running, i hope it will survive your decision to "give it away" in unknown hands. Maybe it will grow, we will see.
The very best of Deled is the user-friendly interface. Who will control not to put every possible add-on in it? Will there be enough people to work on stability and debugging? Oh, oh....
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astonishing decision!

I, for one, believe that DeleD will grow faster than it currently does. And iam confident that it attracts a bunch of programmers that add features and fixes. I will also put some effort into it, you know that!

I will help with coding, documenting and probably managing.

I still wonder if DeleD is not making enough profit to continue it as a commercial application.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry to read this Reply with quote

harper wrote:
With DeleD i found not only a software, but a team of programmers AND community, that develops a software with such profession and (heart?)... Planning to use DeleD for some years to get my project running, i hope it will survive your decision to "give it away" in unknown hands.

Don't worry Harper, we (the original developers) will be around to contribute to DeleD. We won't just walk away from DeleD, not after all these years and with that many users depending on it. Smile We're just looking for people who can help us develop DeleD faster.

Grandmaster B wrote:
Astonishing decision!

I, for one, believe that DeleD will grow faster than it currently does. And iam confident that it attracts a bunch of programmers that add features and fixes. I will also put some effort into it, you know that!

Thanks for those comments. That's exactly the spirit we're looking for! Very Happy
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using google code as the host for the code and only have a listing on sourceforge? Takes just 2 minutes to make a project on google code!
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plug-in contest after it goes open source might keep things lively.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A plug-in contest after it goes open source might keep things lively.

Hmm.. I'd rather see DeleD improve. It's better to have more functionality inside the program than to have loads of plugins. It would be better if someone could add features to the plugin system. I like the idea of having such a contest, but I think we have to wait some more..
corb
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: just purchased Pro this week, but still happy Reply with quote

It was worth the money when I decided to get it, and that hasn't changed. I'm a big fan of open-source and I think it's great you're doing this.
corb
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look at http://www.mono-project.com/Languages for a Pascal environment.

"Delphi Prism™ is the fast way to build .NET, ASP.NET, data-driven, and cross-platform Mono applications. Delphi Prism includes a full IDE and powerful programming language with features not available in other .NET programming languages. You can target Windows®, Linux® and Mac OS®"
ridwan sameer
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

Like imagine 10 people work on DeleD but not TOGETHER, like wont tehy have different releases etc..?
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These projects are usually managed in some kind of versioning system (like SVN, CVS etc)... This is a system that keeps track of all the files and all the changes. It contains tools that allow developers to merge files together. In the end, we should be able to make all kinds of changes to the sourcecode and combining the results into a single product. Smile
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a free / open source development environment to build DeleD and because many open source developers may use Unix it should be platform independent too. The only fit i know is Lazarus (http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/) it may take some effort to port it but the compatibility to Delphi is quite good and almost all components are available. I also expect if the possibility is given to port DeleD to Unix and Mac it will attract some good developers right away.

Porting to another language or environment like .NET can be a long-run target but i did rather lern and improve the original code before starting with the really boring (and not so useful) work.

I hate to being a smartass once more but what's happening to DeleD if its going open source depends on us and just fixing bugs and adding features is only a part of it. Its most important that there are people to rely on and that dedicate some time of their life to the project, if Jeroen and Paul-Jan just release the source to a half-existing, unorganized community it doesnt stand a chance (i'm not saying we are!). There are a lot of voluntary positions to fill and the more people there are the more easier and fun gets the job and the more DeleD will grow.

Please tell Jeroen right away if you dont want to contribute to DeleD or that you dont have the time. Maybe then they reverse the decision for good. I'd rather see DeleD in limbo than dying lonely.

I encourage you to think about it and decide if you're willing to help - in one way or another... let us prepared as good as we can when/if DeleD is going open source.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: