Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misaligned Textures

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unphazed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Misaligned Textures Reply with quote

Ok, I've tried fixing this in Milkshape and Deled, and I can't figure out why this texture keeps coming out misaligned. It's a simple 3d tile, and whenever I drag out vertices it seems to fix itself in one place just to go bad in another. I even remade the model, only to have it do something similar... any ideas?

[/img]
Nocturn
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case -if it is a tile texture- you may need to re-generate the UVs. Select your object, go to face mode, select all faces (ctrl + a) and press the Gen. UV Button.
unphazed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, tried that too... no dice. It's like it's trying to wrap inside it too or something (I looked at the inside for any faces going inwards, nothing), or like it suddenly changes x,y directions. My only recourse that I can come up with really is just to build my perfect model, then unwrap it and build a complete uv map rather than tiling... but I'd still like to know why this is happening, because it obviously will happen again, and most likely has something to do with how I design the model, so I want to learn this now before it becomes habit or something.

Oh, and btw, HI EVERYONE!!! I'm already in love with this program, and I admit I didn't even know about it until 2 weeks ago (then went, 'OPEN SOURCE!! WOOT!').

I've only been working on 3d modeling for about 2 months now, using Bryce, Milkshape, and Poser, and this will make a great compliment for all the others.
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will have to understand the basics of UVmapping.

looking at the model it seems that it's impossible to have no seams(not aligning) at all without having intense stretching.

in UVmapping you'll have to balance between the two

if you want a completely seamless model you will get alot of stretching
if you don't want stretching you will get seams.

there are only a few objects that this doesn't apply to like a cube, but your model looks alot more complex then a cube. It's just impossible to have everything aligned.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Misaligned Textures Reply with quote

unphazed wrote:
It's a simple 3d tile
There is nothing simple about that model.

If you want a nice tile across the model, grab a capable UV unwrapper, and unwrap your model on a flat plane with proper proportions, and then draw the texture you want on it. Then you will get the nice 1:1 mapping you are looking for.

Otherwise, there isn't much you can do to make a square repeating pattern fit on a random shape perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone

I was thinking it was a failure on my part at designing the model... I'm glad it wasn't...

ANYHOW

I redid the model (again), using a slightly more square structure. I used Unwrap3d and applied a cylinder (why doesn't EVERY 3d editor have this?), applied it horizontally, then regrouped the flat planes that had tops and bottoms, and mapped them out seperately. I then took my original texture, put it into PS and tiled it at a 4x size. So, yeah, no tiling, which sucks, but it looks a helluva lot better and aligned now (unless you look at the bottom and top of the chimney, heh.)

I appreciate the help! I'll link to some pictures once I make a little more progress on my Irish home...
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

why doesn't EVERY 3d editor have this?

I agree. I think DeleD is in great need of more advanced UV mapping tools.
I would like to add these feature myself, but I need to study the sources and some extra free time. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: