Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash when rendering lightmaps

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Crash when rendering lightmaps Reply with quote

Hi,
My version (Windows exe version) doesn't crash after a period of time, it does however crash everytime it has spend sometime rendering, at the end of each session. It doesnt matter how long the render time, 5 minutes to several hours, same result.
What is strange, it creates the lightmaps (mb's of them) in a folder, but they will not load. Nor are they included in the materials file, when exported.
This happened ocasionally using Lite, but it happenes everytime for me using CE.

I have been trying to render a scene now for days, or at least get it rendered and show the created lightmaps. Problem is, I can't do it in Lite as it is an outdoors scene and I need the directional lighting.

[Moderator]Split from generic discussion about initial CE build crashing on start-up[/Moderator]
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightmap algorithm will generate the lightmaps, but will not actually save the scene. You have to that by yourself. If you don't save the scene after the lightmapping finishes (for instance, because the application crashed), you won't see the lightmaps upon reloading the scene, as the lightmapped materials are not saved into the file.

- Does it render if you use really low-resolution lightmaps?
- When it "crashes", do you get an error message?
- Can you post your scene somewhere (zipped dxs)? We could then attach it as a file to an official Tracker bug report.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
The lightmap algorithm will generate the lightmaps, but will not actually save the scene. You have to that by yourself. If you don't save the scene after the lightmapping finishes (for instance, because the application crashed), you won't see the lightmaps upon reloading the scene, as the lightmapped materials are not saved into the file.

- Does it render if you use really low-resolution lightmaps?
- When it "crashes", do you get an error message?
- Can you post your scene somewhere (zipped dxs)? We could then attach it as a file to an official Tracker bug report.

I set all sorts of sizes for the lightmaps, no difference in the result, that once the light map generation has reached 99.9% the programme closes on its own. I don't get time to save anything, no error message, nadda. I see the lightmaps sat in the folder, but they will not load, or are they part of the materials file, I checked.

I can't send over any files, as they are copyright Sad

I have created this picture to show settings: Although I have changed settings several times to a variety of permutations.
[/img]
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Update]
After suffering a crash, which indicated memory leaking,

I did the following:-
Reinstalled my Graphic Card drivers, with latest drivers.
Reinstalled my Mouse Drivers, with latest drivers.
Ran a registry check and compaction.
Uninstalled and reinstalled DeleD CE.

The driver updates were only 2 months old.

Set all graphic light mapping settings to very low.
Carried out a render, which worked. I am now moving the setting up, until either A) It crashes again. B) It works at all levels.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your screenshots I notice you are running 2.4 CE. Are you running the hotfixed version by TPascal? Otherwise, read this and make really really sure you update to 2.41 a.s.a.p.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when the crahes were happening, before going through this process, I did not have the hotfix. I do now, I installed it, when I did the reinstallations.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, keep us posted!
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped the update file (2.41 CE) into the DeleD CE folder, it replaced the existing application file, but, I do not see any difference in the about menu, or at the top bar of the sceen.. how will I know?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The splash screen, title bar, about screen and file properties (explorer) should all show "2.41". If they still show 2.4, you didn't replace your executable.

The surest way is to inzip the file into some scratch folder, then check the file properties of the executable. If they are 2.41, copy them over deled.exe in your application folder.

If you are unsure about any part of the procedure, download the full installer. It will not overwrite or delete any of your files upon installation.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for that, I did download the 'fix' from the forums previously, and the instructions said simply drop the application file into the DeleD CE folder and let it over write the existing, which I did, and checked that the file size and creation date had changed. Clearly it was linked to the incorrect file maybe.
Anyway, all is well and updated.

Update on the crashing while lightmapping:
Good news is that it no longer crashes, unless I use say 512x512 light maps and min 16x16 and max 256x256 texture map settings, it seems related to memory leaking. Is there a way to get the programme to use both cores in my system? The CPU is constantly at 50%, but no higher.
I am considering upgrading the Ram from 2gbs, but under XP 32 bit, won't see much advantage above 3.5gbs. If I install Vista 64 and upgrade to 8gb's, most of my other programmes won't run. I'm assuming DeleD can't use 64 bit architecture natively?
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Confused

Last edited by AWM Mars on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
Is there a way to get the programme to use both cores in my system? The CPU is constantly at 50%, but no higher.
I am considering upgrading the Ram from 2gbs, but under XP 32 bit, won't see much advantage above 3.5gbs. If I install Vista 64 and upgrade to 8gb's, most of my other programmes won't run. I'm assuming DeleD can't use 64 bit architecture natively?

Bump Confused
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, DeleD is a single-threaded program written for win32. AFAIK, only the raytracer uses multithreading. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multithreading but on a single core. Pity, I have rendering engines on my system like Renderman (Aqsis), that can use cores etc over a network, which could take advantage of my 2 other systems.
Only problem I have with other rendering systems, is the import/export functions are way too limited, and most loose things like lightmaps in the process.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is no doubt DeleD would benefit from multi-core lightmap rendering. I'll put it on the official feature requests list on SourceForge.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: