Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Redesigning the geometry toolbox?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Redesigning the geometry toolbox? Reply with quote

Hey guys

The geometry toolbox is one of the most important GUI elements of DeleD. It makes the program very user-friendly. Smile

However, I foresee some problems when new tools are added. The list of permanently visible tools is growing (I have a higher DPI setting, so the toolbox probably takes more space on my screen than on yours). Also, some edit modes only contain a few tools (face mode and skeleton mode). The other modes are useless in that context.

For example, I don't see the point of showing the CSG tools in any mode but Object-Mode.

Also, we will see more tools that can only be used in one mode. These will probably be Skeleton tools or UV-mapping tools (face mode).

I'd like to know your opinion about this:

- Should we change the way DeleD shows tools?
- Should we hide tools that cannot be used in the selected edit mode?
- Should we add an option to hide/show certain tools, or change the way tools are shown?
- Should we add alternative ways to access tools (prehaps a tool menu at the top or a submenu when right clicking)?

The reason I'm asking is that I might do some work on the tool management code. I'd like to investigate the possibilities of making tools easier to access and customize. Smile

Thanks

Last edited by chronozphere on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
harper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: I like options Reply with quote

I would prefer the "optional" way. So the "old" users can look on a familiar menu, but new ones can choose, or everybody can ban the crowded menu when it's growing too big.
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! I also dislike the current toolbox. The toolbox should only show the tools that make sense in the current mode.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I like options Reply with quote

harper wrote:
I would prefer the "optional" way. So the "old" users can look on a familiar menu, but new ones can choose, or everybody can ban the crowded menu when it's growing too big.

I'll second this one.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Dragonsbrethren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Redesigning the geometry toolbox? Reply with quote

chronozphere wrote:

- Should we change the way DeleD shows tools?

Yes

chronozphere wrote:

- Should we hide tools that cannot be used in the selected edit mode?

Yes.

chronozphere wrote:

- Should we add an option to hide/show certain tools, or change the way tools are shown?

I think having a show/hide option for each tool would be overkill and clutter the interface. I do third harper's suggestion of having an option to show all tools, for people who are used to the old way. I know I was a bit annoyed when 2.0 changed the hotkeys around.

chronozphere wrote:

- Should we add alternative ways to access tools (prehaps a tool menu at the top or a submenu when right clicking)?

Provided these never replace the user-friendly box, yes.

I'm not sure if this is the right place the suggest this, but since you're talking about UI improvements, I think there should be a button to open the material editor in the material tab. That, IMO, is the most logical place to find the option. Right now the only way of accessing it is that tiny toolbar button, which is pretty easy to miss and unintuitive compared to the rest of the interface.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: