Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble with textures

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lascar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Trouble with textures Reply with quote

I have been getting on well with practising with the modeller, feels comfortable to use now.
However, I can't seem to figure out textures.
Looked through the tutorials and tried following them.
I seem to be able to select textures in the material editor.
The only active button is the "OK" button and when I click it and the texture window closes no texture.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might be going wrong?
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the best workflow is, Go to the DeleD programme folder, open the Textures Folder, create a folder for your project, copy your textures into that folder.
Open DeleD, click the materials icon. Follow the pictures below:

Start by using 'Add Category' to create a working folder. Give it a useful name (not too long). Now navigate to the folder you created ealier, using the < and > arrows shown in the picture.
Drag the textures you want to use into the upper window as shown in Pic 2.

You can make adjustments to the texture (transparency, specular, reflection, etc) using the various features to the left, once you have selected it from the window you dragged the texture to.

To add a layer to a texture (therefore making a material as opposed to a texture), simply click the 'Create' button as shown in the picture, this will enable the layer below the texture, simply drag your layered texture into the thumbnail window as shown in the picture. Note, you cannot make adjustments to individual layers, they only effect the overall material.

Now you have created materials consisting of textures, layers (if required), and made any adjustments to the properties, when you click the OK button, click the Materials TAB and click the Category you created, and your texture/materials will be listed for you to use on your models.

What 3D modelling works with is Materials, not simply textures. Texture and or colours can be applied to models using Materials. Think of a Material being like a White Carpet sample, that you can apply colurs, speckles, reflections, glow, even add another texture to combine to create more effects etc etc to it. It is no longer a simple texture, but a Material.
You can create a range of Materials using the same texture, but each with different settings. This is far more flexible than creating lots of different versions of the same texture for use, and the overall file size is much lower as it uses the texture once, but applies simple settings to each version.

I hope this helps get you started.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk

Last edited by AWM Mars on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lascar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your help.
I seem to be able to do this now, why it didn't work before I don't know.
Is it possible to texture sections rather than the whole model.
I have tried selecting Polygon Mode and Face Mode but it ends up texturing the whole thing.
I thought I read somewhere it was possible to do faces but can't remember where I saw it, or what it said exactly.
Any pointers would be helpful.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in Polygon mode, you can select individual faces. Place your cursor over a face so it is hilighted with a red frame, hold down the shift key and left click that face. To add more as a group, simply hold down the Ctrl and the Shift keys as you click each face.

Now click your Materials Tab.. open your project category so you can see the materials you created, and click one to apply it to the hilighted faces you selected.

Selecting other faces using the same method, will apply different materials to those faces.

If you want to keep a group of faces, so you can apply different materials to them without having to reselect them one by one, select one of the faces, then go into the UV editor window, you will see all the other faces in the window. The hilighted one you started with will be in red, the others will be in black. simply hold down the shift button and drag your cursor over the region containing all the faces to hilight them all. Now click a different material in the Materials Tab, to change them all to the new material Smile

Checkout:
Lascar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply.
Can't do any more now, will try tomorrow.
Lascar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get it to work.
I can do everything you have instructed (create materials, select polygons, etc.), I click OK but the textures still won't appear on the model.
I will try later and install it on my laptop (Vista) and see if it works, perhaps it's something to do with Windows7.
Failing that I could always try my old desktop running XP Rolling Eyes
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on the face of it, you are using the materials editor to apply the materials/textures.. that function is for preparing the materials for use. Once you are out of the materials editor window, your materials will appear in the Materials Tab in the top right hand window (click the category tab you created in the materials editor) see pic 2.

Then you select your polygons, then click the material icon of your choice, in the Material Tab window, to apply them.

Checkout:

Last edited by AWM Mars on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can do everything you have instructed (create materials, select polygons, etc.), I click OK but the textures still won't appear on the model.

It's very simple. The material editor is to make and edit materials. The material tab (shown on the right) is to apply a material to your model.

> Go to polygon mode
> Select a bunch of polygons with Shift + Click or Shift + Drag
> Go to the material tab
> Select the category you want
> Click on a material thumbnail

Now the material should be applied to your polygons. Smile

Quote:

I will try later and install it on my laptop (Vista) and see if it works, perhaps it's something to do with Windows7.

Don't bother. DeleD should work fine on Win7. You probably missed something.
Lascar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars & chronozphere; thankyou for your help.
The material picker was not active, so it was not showing up on the right.
I had to go View, and tick Material Picker, then move the panel around until it magically locked to the panel and became a tab.
I can now select the textures.
Thanks Very Happy

Wait until I start on animation Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: