Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cursor question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lascar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Cursor question Reply with quote

Just found DeleD and downloaded it.
I have been using OpenFX for years but that is now a dead programme, so I'm looking for a replacement.
I am running Windows7.
Unfortunately, I seem to be having problems before I start …. with the cursor Sad
The programme starts OK but once I make a left-click or do anything in any of the view windows the cursor switches to a thick black cross and will not change to the selection arrow, no matter what I do.
Can't select vertices or anything.
Tried running in ME mode, computer froze.
Tried running in Windows 2000 still getting the black cross.
After 30 minutes of creating hundreds of cubes and nothing else I am starting to think it not me.
Is there a way to turn it back to the selection cursor, because it's got me stumped.
Am I missing something?

Last edited by Lascar on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have windows 7, so I can't test deled to debug the problem.
What I can say, is normally, when people have problems with deled, it's due to outdated graphics drivers. Have you updated your drivers lately? If not, you may give that a try and see if it solves your problem. Don't go thru microsoft to update them. Go directly to the manufacturers site and get the drivers from them.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience with Windows 7, its a driver issue. Like Vista, it is like MS didn't tell anyone in advance they were releasing a new OS, so drivers were rushed out at the last minute and were broken.

Since XP things seem to have been getting out of control at MS, might be the weight of the billions of dollars they make each month, or their continous battles with the authorities, for unfair and uncompeditive business, they have been doing for the past 20 years.

If it's not broken, they will 'fix it'.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Lascar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.
The computer is new only got it last month (triple core) so I would have thought the drivers were up to scratch - I will have a look.
Just been trying again and there's something very strange going on, doing my head in.
Shame as it looks a good programme Sad
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha.. I think I know what the problem is. Smile

You must select objects by holding shift and clicking or dragging. Just clicking always results in creating another object (or move/scale/rotate, depending on what kind of tool you have selected). Wink
Lascar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed it and re-installed it.
It's now working …. much better .... and the shift key it also working Shocked Laughing
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New computers Never have the newest drivers. I'd still update them if I were you. It'll save you headaches later.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I installed Vista on a PC, the ink was still drying on the cardboard marketing stuff. As soon as it got an internet connection, it proceeded to download and install nearly 1GB of 'updates'.

MS have drivers in Vista that are the same as the ones used in the first SP of XP, a lot are dated 2004, including Graphic CPU drivers.

Win7 is reknowned for its shaky drivers, and the lack of upto date and compliant drivers.

Checkout:
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
Win7 is reknowned for its shaky drivers, and the lack of upto date and compliant drivers.

Rumors, like when Vista came out! I've Win7. I've never had a better OS. No problem with drivers except that some small manufacturers dont provide 64-bit compliant drivers. Vista drivers should be compatible with Win7 too.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lascar wrote:
I removed it and re-installed it.
It's now working …. much better .... and the shift key it also working Shocked Laughing

Did you try using Shift + click before you reinstalled?

I wouldn't be suprised if you just forgot about the shift. Selection in DeleD should always work. I cant think of any bugs there.
Lascar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I did try shift + click but could not get it to work.
I also tried tab, caps-lock, ctrl, Alt Gr, etc, I tried anything .... but then again, it may have been me becoming frustrated Crying or Very sad
I think, also, the tutorials confused me as they showed the cursor as a selection arrow not a black cross.
Now that it is working and I have had a go with the primitives all appears to be ok.
It's a bit more laborious than OpenFX (OpenFX had lots of pull-down menus making it clear what mode you were in, key press and click seems a bit long winded) but I am sure the more I use it the better I will become.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandmaster B wrote:
AWM Mars wrote:

Rumors, like when Vista came out! I've Win7. I've never had a better OS. No problem with drivers except that some small manufacturers dont provide 64-bit compliant drivers. Vista drivers should be compatible with Win7 too.

Its fair to say that some work better than others.

Explaining how ActiveX pluggins and programmes written that run perfectly on XP and Vista without issue, will not even install on Win7, yet if you install them on Vista and upgrade to Win7 they work, begs some explaination from MS.

I don't want to hijack this thread with rantings on MS's antics (Win98, ME, Vista), but they have changed their marketing tatics since they enjoyed making billions out of us with ME.

Checkout:
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Explaining how ActiveX pluggins and programmes written that run perfectly on XP and Vista without issue, will not even install on Win7, yet if you install them on Vista and upgrade to Win7 they work, begs some explaination from MS.

Probably security update reasons, ActiveX is the worst thing MS invented anyway. I love to bash MS like everybody else but they've done a good job with Win7. And i think they found a good balance with improving their OS and compatibility.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: