Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Know of a good Free delphi compiler?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Know of a good Free delphi compiler? Reply with quote

There are so many choices. Too many. I downloaded one of the older delphi compilers becouse it was free. When I attempted to install it, it demanded a code from delphi.com. That address said the compiler was out of date and not supported anymore. No code, no finished install.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trucker,
as you found out, I dont' think there are ANY free Delphi compilers available anymore unless you use cracks/serial keys.

I believe the free turbo delphi version have been discontinued now too Sad

Freepascal/Lazarus IDE is free, but I think there are currently quite a few Delphi GUI bits that are not directly compatible or convertable with freepascal/Lazarus IDE.

cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently NO free compiler on the market that will compile the DeleD sources without modifications. DeleD was made with Delphi, a professional (and rather costly) development environment.

We are aware that this is a rather large hurdle for those willing to take a shot at an open source project, it's just that converting the code to compile through a free compiler like FreePasal/Lazarus is a rather big undertaking at the moment.(*)

From the upside (from the project perpective), 95% of the developers that speak Delphi/Pascal already have a copy of Delphi at their disposal. It's the industry standard for Win32 Pascal Development.

If you can get your hands on a Turbo Delphi Explorer 2006 (a free edition) you are good to go, but according to Embarcadero (the company behing Delphi) itīs officially off the market (some russian sites still offer it for download, but I guess that wouldn't be legal then). There also used to be a free Delphi 6 Personal edition that would work, but again: officially pulled off the market probably means illegal. Just as illegal as the billion cracked Delphi 7 copies floating round the internet.

Rumors (from a trusty source) are they plan to bring out a free/cheap version of Delphi again in the near future. So good news there, although it would mean having to port DeleD to unicode (not a big problem, and might be nice for bonus for users outside eur/usa).

(*) It would be great if we could find someone to do this, but it would require an experienced freepascal developer with a a huge amount of time and commitment...
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the Turbo Delphi 2006 Installer + a working serial. Since the product was free anyway, I don't think it's wrong to share these. Wink

It would be the easiest way of letting people contribute until a FPC compatible version of the source is made (I don't see that happen any time soon).
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the following link:

http://www.turbomirror.com/

Here you can download BDS2006 including all it's dependancies. I'm not sure whether license-file/serial are included. You might be able to get them if you register at the embarcadero developers network. If not, I could provide my files to make it work for everyone. Smile

This is great because BDS2006 is the most appropriate version of Delphi to use for this project IMHO (I know it's old, but it works great).
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delphi 7 is no longer available. I have delphi 6, but understand there are problems with it.
Quote:
I'm not sure whether license-file/serial are included. You might be able to get them if you register at the embarcadero developers network.

No. The serial is a download from borland that I cant get anymore as 6 has also been discontinued.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
oliebol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every solution has a problem:

== Turbo Explorer ==

Turbo Explorer (or any other free Codegear product in the future) has several problems Codegear/Borland had a consistent problem that they don't have a free version forever, and that the regular course changes might terminate the program entirely (as now has happened with TE).

Aside from that, note that Turbo Explorer can't install design time components.

I don't know if there are forms with designtime components on them, but it could require some reengineering to support TE.

This also includes some components that normally come with Delphi like tspinedit (and the rest in the "SAMPLES" tab) and tchart (which is external but packaged with delphi)

=== Just buy a license ===

The problem with the "Serious devels have a commercial Delphi license" avenue, is that they will all have a different version, and that some will
start to update, while some are left behind.

While this was always hard since it forces you to support old versions with myriads of ifdefs, the unicode-generics of D2009+ make this more painful.

The missing of a say Eur 100-250 pricepoint version is dearly missed here.

(well actually they let you upgrade trials sometimes for upgrade price, so make sure you registered with some trial in their databases if you think about getting a cheaper license but are in no hurry)

=== Lazarus ===

Lazarus has problems too. No MDI, changes in TImage etc etc.

Probably the most work initially, but the most sustainable long term. There will be nuisances due to changing version, but at least all will go at approx the same time (and an old version will remain working forever, and can be freely shared if you need a ref version)

=== Conclusion ===

I would start with Lazarus directly no matter what. The other options are not sustainable. I would also not let this wait till there is somebody available, it should be a responsibility of all

(because then only sb will be interested in an year, and even if he is not overwhelmed because he has to do it alone, it will take another half year before he really gets going, and so maybe in total two years before you have something workable)

At best have a "keep it working with Delphi" backup to not stiffle working on the codebase entirely while the migration is in progress, but make clear it is temporarily.

Last edited by oliebol on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 am; edited 4 times in total
dazza101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to DeleD and haven't programmed in Pascal for 20 years... but was recently looking at free compilers and found Lazarus, which can (apparently) compile Delphi Code with some mods. Not sure if this is useful, but thought I would mention it Very Happy
adr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fine. I dont know the code myself, but I'll help the people that do know it and want to help.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find indeed. "some mods" is actually "a whole lot of mods", but it should be doable by a fairly experienced freepascal developer. See earlier posts in this thread.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.andyaska.com/?act=download&mode=detail&id=34

Just wanted to share this with you guys. It is a modified stripped-down version of turbo delphi. Looks really handy to me. Smile Not sure it's legal though. Confused
oliebol

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronozphere wrote:
http://www.andyaska.com/?act=download&mode=detail&id=34

Just wanted to share this with you guys. It is a modified stripped-down version of turbo delphi. Looks really handy to me. Smile Not sure it's legal though. Confused

Maybe it is, but only if you use your own Turbo Delphi key. If it comes with a predistributed key, it is not.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: