Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD path primitive - getting closer to reality :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it looks more like a race track. Keep on!
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harper wrote:
For me it looks more like a race track. Keep on!

LOL.. that's exactly what I'm aiming for. Wink
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've released DeleD 2.45 earlier today and it includes paths. However, I'm not sure paths are actually finished. paul and/or chronoz, can you guys elaborate?
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I consider it an abandoned project.. unfortuantely. Sad

Part of the problem is that large important parts of the code are not very well structured. We've discussed this in detail so I don't feel like giving examples. However, this can be overcome by just putting more time in it.

One of the main problems we ware facing (at least a serious one I can remember) is that everything is derived from Primitive, which has a lot of methods and data allready. We needed to introduce tangent handles to allow the user to change the tangents.

We could use vertices for this, but that would introduce a serious number of corner cases in various algorithmes (It would potentially break existing functions).
We could also introduce a Handle class and give the Primitive a list of Handles. This would give Lights and Meshes, Handles too, which is not really nice. Furthermore, we would have to find out how Vertex is interwoven into the rest of the program, and try to duplicate it somehow.

To me it seemed like too much work for a relatively simple thing. More importantly, I often found myself getting frustrated after finding out I had to work around yet another issue. My conclusion was that DeleD's data model was simply not ready to support this feature (at least not considering the ammount of effort I was willing to spend to make it work).

Not sure if this argumentation makes any sense (It's been a while since I looked at the code). I simply hope that people will still do some work on the code every now and then. If I really need a feature, I will estimate how much time it takes for me to implement. If I have enough spare time (ATM almost none) the effort/reward balance is OK, I'll do it.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really too bad! Sad DeleD was not designed with things like paths in mind and I can imagine it being hard to get right.

Anyway, in that case, assuming paul nicholls isn't working on this anymore either, let's just remove the path icon from the Item Creation treeview.
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't replied sooner...I hadn't noticed the post in my email Sad

I can't recall what state the path code is in DeleD to be honest, it has been a while..

I don't think you can move tangents after creating paths, or delete vertices either?

As chronozphere said, it has been tough to integrate all the parts into DeleD.

If I had had a use for a 3d modelling program (DeleD) these last few months, I would have probably worked on the code more, but I still don't know how to do some some of the stuff we need to do - so I don't know when/if it will get completed Sad

I feel really bad about this, I have let down the DeleD community by not finishing the path functionality since getting excited about it! Sad

cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I feel really bad about this, I have let down the DeleD community by not finishing the path functionality since getting excited about it! Sad

Same here. I don't like it one bit. However, it's good to be realistic and learn from these mistakes. However, we did gather some nice spline code and learned a great deal. I'm using my experience in this little project. So far, it's progressing nicely I will release the sources too, when it's ready. Wink

So, if someone desperately needs splines, he could write himself spline-plugins that work with XML-based splines from my program. Ofcourse, it's not as convenient as having splines directly inside DeleD. Confused

Also, If someone ever tries to refactor/redesign DeleD, I'd jump right in to make sure that paths can be integrated. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: