Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better Plugin-Interface?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Better Plugin-Interface? Reply with quote

It's been already asked a few times. Trying to give that topic some prio-boost I just wanted to remind you guys that especially for a community-based software it's absolutely necessary to have a better plugin-system. That means an interface which should be much closer to DeleD as the actual one is. Imho, the best way is over DLLs that export the needed functions, that would keep flexibility. I'm not aware of Delphi but I am aware of a lot of other languages and would be happy to contribute one or two plugins to help DeleD grow as it's still my 3D-editor of choice.
Hoping that you guys don't get me wrong Confused.

Cheers,
Chrisu.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand exactly what you mean. It has been mentioned a couple of times earlier too. The current system has earned its value, but we now need something better.

As DeleD is now open source, there's nothing stopping you from enhancing the current plugin system or introducing an entire new one. As I don't have any serious amount of free time available, I'm afraid I can only help with making suggestions and/or answering questions, but not with the actual coding.

I hope more developers will stand up and implement a better plugin system now. Smile

Note: not knowing Delphi shouldn't be a real problem. It is just as easy to read/understand as C# or Visual Basic.NET. You just need a Delphi compiler, which might be a problem...
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
You just need a Delphi compiler, which might be a problem...

Lol, I just started to look for one that's free - and *yes* it seems as this might be a/the problem. Some advices regarding this?

EDIT: Compiler-problem solved, I bought me the book "Delphi für Kids" (quite cheap) which has a legal full-version of Delphi-7 on-board. I will take a look how easy or difficult it will be to dive into Delphi and DeleD to be able to make a new plugin-concept. The latter isn't really new for me as I'm rather used to creating plugin-concepts. Let's see what the future brings Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisu wrote:
Jeroen wrote:
You just need a Delphi compiler, which might be a problem...

EDIT: Compiler-problem solved, I bought me the book "Delphi für Kids" (quite cheap) which has a legal full-version of Delphi-7 on-board. I will take a look how easy or difficult it will be to dive into Delphi and DeleD to be able to make a new plugin-concept. The latter isn't really new for me as I'm rather used to creating plugin-concepts. Let's see what the future brings Smile

Hey, that's excellent news! Delphi 7 is indeed all you need.

There are more people looking for a cheap solution to this problem. Perhaps we should share the title of the book & its ISBN number somewhere!

Goodluck with the plugin architecture. I'm sure there are people here willing to discuss the subject (Hi Chronoz! Wink). Smile
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for that. Smile

I've make a sticky post about it here.
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!
Glad I could help, already.
But I'm looking forward to eventually help more than that Wink

Cheers,
Chrisu.
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jeroen: I'm really thinking about contributing to DeleD. I'm thinking about a multi-staged plugin-design (like an abstraction-layer) which would furthermore render the existing DeleD to something I would call as "core". So most of the enhancements should be doable by plugins (in one's language of choice). But besides this ideas I wonder what is actually being discussed regarding DeleD's future as a .NET-application? I would be more than annoying if I dive into the code now already with a planing-thread going on in my brain finally finding out that this was just for nothing. Sad
I'm really not sure about this specific discussion. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I took a quick-look in the code and I have some sort of "feels like home" guts-feeling. I guess, yes, I could help you guys out. But I have to say that I'm not good in 3D-maths but I think I am when it comes to user-interfaces or lowlevel-system-stuff. In my real-life I'm a malware-analyst and -reverse-engineer. So, maybe not the worst skills when it comes to understanding some foreign software and code ... uhm, and I'm not talking about high-level-code, which is quite a charm for me, as I'm usually digging around directly in the .exe's if you know what I mean Wink
Actually I'm checking what it takes to make snapping and axis-restriction better. Looks pretty straight forward.

Cheers,
Chrisu.
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm highly motivated now I would like to ask you guys what I'm allowed to do and what not.
Smile
If you ask me I would like to start right now to add all those things I'm actually missing: Better snapping (maybe smart snapping), perpendicular movement, customized object-origins, ...

Cheers,
Chrisu
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisu wrote:
As I'm highly motivated now I would like to ask you guys what I'm allowed to do and what not.
Smile
If you ask me I would like to start right now to add all those things I'm actually missing: Better snapping (maybe smart snapping), perpendicular movement, customized object-origins, ...

Cheers,
Chrisu

Well, you're allowed to do anything you want, actually. DeleD is open source so any valuable functionality added is quite alright. Smile It might be wise to make a list of things you want to add and then let the community vote for them. The function with the highest score gets implemented first.

However, I would start with examining the plugin architecture (did you read the documentation that comes with it?) and make suggestions for improving / replacing it. Once a good architecture is in place, add new functionality using that architecture at your convenience.

If new functionality can be added using the plugin architecture, it makes things really easy for both users and developers. Users can simply decide which plugin they want to use. Developers can concentrate on their own plugin instead of having to understand the DeleD core code.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in other posts, many of the developers have said what a great programme DeleD is, but the plug-in element has thwarted all but dog eared programmers, especially those with a Delphi compiler Smile

I believe DeleD could either, evolve expansively in features and functionality, or be aligned to another programme, maybe taking the modelling programme into the realms of scene management. That is a very rich arena for plug-ins.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, firstly I will focus on the plugin-concept.
Does it make sense to enhance the interface partially? Or the full concept at once? Hm, guess It's more a question to the plugin-developers. What would you guys need at first so you can implement the plugins you ever wanted to??

Let's start a list here what you guys would expect from plugin-concept. So, functionality and so on. What is the biggest pain in the a** regarding the actual concept? Feel free to brainstorm!

Here my first throw of an idea - but, just an idea now: I'm thinking about an abstraction-DLL that acts like an API. This would be the "active"-way for the plugins. Besides this the existing "passive"-way will stay and will get furthermore enhanced. In that way the already existing plugins wouldn't get harmed.

Cheers,
Chrisu.
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started with the modeling of the concept. Here's a little preview ...

EDIT: Overall-Concept is ready! Details are about to come soon.

Feel free to comment! Wink

Cheers,
Chrisu.

Last edited by chrisu on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronozphere and Fik, as experienced DeleD plugin builders, do you guys have comments?

A question that pops up is: how does the API communicate with DeleD?

DeleD maintains a set of data (primitives, selected primitives etc) per scene and the plugin API needs a way to access that data. Any thoughts on that?
chrisu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone comments? It's kinda hard to satisfy the needs of the ones developing plugins if noone of them contributes ideas or comments. Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: