Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XNA Importer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butler1970

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: XNA Importer Reply with quote

I've selected DeleD CE as my 3D modeling application of choice for an SDK I've been developing to extend the functionality of the XNA Game Development SDK.

The SDK I've been developing is titled, "BetaSDK". The reason I'm posting here is to announce to the Delgine/DeleD CE community that I have developed an importer that utilitizes the DeleD CE scene file format (DXS) and that I would like to share with you the source and my plans for the future of this development kit.

You can find the source for the importer and BetaSDK project on Source Forge at the following URL.

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/betasdk

Although my plans for the immediate future of the DXS importer are simply to bridge models from various other 3D modeling systems (including DeleD CE) to XNA, I wanted to share with the DeleD CE community the importer "as is", in case anyone is currently developing XNA based software and would be able to benefit from my efforts.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I bet there are alot of XNA developers out there, so I know for sure that some of those will be interested. Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. XNA is such a large platform, no doubt people will be interested. Smile Good job!
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, though I think there's a lot of emphasis on using software such as Maya/3DS since XNA has a very stable FBX import path (only one capable of importing animation to boot). Though I think more DeleD promotion would be in order over at the AppHub.

It was neat to see animation support tucked in there. About a year ago I wrote a DXS content importer for my (now old) XNA 3.1 Engine. Never got around to doing animation support because we were using Maya for anything that had to be animated. Although it did support lightmaps, which made DeleD very useful in our project.
butler1970

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Check this out! Reply with quote

I love DeleD CE Very Happy

Check out this screen shot I just took. Using the BetaSDK and DeleD CE I was able to create this scene with minimal effort. This is an actual image of the lunar surface I grabbed from the map database on the NASA site mapped onto a sphere (using the spherical texture mapping feature in DeleD CE) and an image from NASA from a space telescope in the background.

http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=294335
butler1970

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:
Yeah, though I think there's a lot of emphasis on using software such as Maya/3DS since XNA has a very stable FBX import path (only one capable of importing animation to boot). Though I think more DeleD promotion would be in order over at the AppHub.

It was neat to see animation support tucked in there. About a year ago I wrote a DXS content importer for my (now old) XNA 3.1 Engine. Never got around to doing animation support because we were using Maya for anything that had to be animated. Although it did support lightmaps, which made DeleD very useful in our project.

You're right about the Maya support which is exactly why I'm doing this. XNA is supposed to be targeted towards the amateur game developers community yet they expect an amateur to own a license for a $1000+ 3D modelling package. I'm not a big Autodesk fan, so this is my contribution to the amateur developers of the world. A freely available game development platform which pulls the best of breed in the open source community together and the more I look around, the more I'm convinced that DeleD is the best 3D modeling/scene editor available today that is truely free.

On the topic of best of breed, these are the tools I've found so far with which I'm really impressed.

DeleD CE (3D Modeling/Scene Editor)
GIMP (All around image processing)
Audacity (All around sound processing)

My development environment is Microsoft Visual C# Express 2010 (also completely free of course) and I'm building with XNA.

If only they had an open source XBox 360 I could use Smile The laptop I'm developing on is even free. It was acquired from Clear. It's a Jetway 10.5 netbook which works amazingly well with all of the devlopment tools I've pulled together. This is another reason I love DeleD. It works amazingly well on a very low powered machine which is perfect if you're developing for mobile phones (i.e. Windows Mobile 7) or game consoles such as Xbox 360. Maybe they'll add XBox 360 to the collection of MAME virtual systems in the near future (if they haven't already).
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butler1970 wrote:
On the topic of best of breed, these are the tools I've found so far with which I'm really impressed.

DeleD CE (3D Modeling/Scene Editor)
GIMP (All around image processing)
Audacity (All around sound processing)

Same here, except I also like using my Macromedia Fireworks for graphics (not free).
There is a plugin for Gimp that gives you Normal Maps from any texture, which is useful (outside of DeleD). From that point on, you have to spend money, and delve into the realms of Middleware, and if you don't programme/code, you are basically screwed.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: