Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions Regarding Torque/Scale and Joints/Animations.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbison

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Questions Regarding Torque/Scale and Joints/Animations. Reply with quote

Hey all,

Been a bit since I been back on here, mostly to the fact that I had to convert to Milkshape because of the animations problem and Torque export issues. That as it seems is fixed, so Im back today trying to find some wisdom from you wise people on how things are setup now.

First off, I use Torque and Dark Basic. Dark Basic is pretty much pie for modeling but Torque is quite the different beast Crying or Very sad , so heres some questions. DeleD's default scale seems GINORMOUS when imported into Torque. Is there a way to change this so that constant rescaling is reduced? Again, Im a newb modeler so if theres tips and tricks, I probably don't know them... Very Happy .

Secondly, It is my understanding once I have created, rigged and animated a model, I can export to milkshape. I can then open the model in MilkShape and all my hardwork will be there, rigging, keyframes and all? Then I can use the Torque DTS Plus exporter to get my .dts and .dsq files out and into Torque, correct? Question

Any help guys yall can provide would be so much appreciated!
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gbison, good to see you again. Smile

About the scale: doesn't the Torque exporter have a scale function? Just wondering.... (I don't use it myself Wink)

About animation: yes, the M3D exporter will export your animations to M3D completely. Assuming the Torque DTS Plus exporter is some Milkshape exporter to .dts and .dsq and that it will do its job correctly, then yes, you are correct.

Give it a try, I'd say. It should be easy enough to create a simple animation, export it to Milkshape and go on from there. Go! Smile
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, do Not use the torque exporter. It exports to dif which isn't used by torque 3D anymore and doesn't support animations.
As for scale, DeleD to torque.

Using the default grid size, 1 square = 1 meter. The default torque orc is only 2 squares high and 1 wide.

I typically don't change the grid size while working on a model. I finish my model, then select everything and scale it down by at least half. (makes it easier to make the details) If my model is still too large, then I will scale it down in torque.
I haven't tried the new milkshape exporter yet so I don't know how well it exports bones that torque can recognise. I do plan on giving it a try tho when I have some time.

@ Jeroen, the dts plus exporter is a pluggin used by milkshape to export objects in the torque dts format. (like the collada exporter here)
The plus has extras that are actually needed when exporting to torque.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
gbison

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad to be back and yes I tested this last night. Built a robot and rigged him up and gave him a slew of animations and exported. Everything worked perfectly! Now i just have to understand the requirements of Torque as far as my joints and things go.

I understand what your saying about the scaling and to be honest thats what I did. I made the model big in deled while working on it. When I got it to milkshape everything was scaled down to milkshape form, which is much closer to torque and then exported through the DTS Plus plugin. I havent got to try the animations and what not yet in the engine itself but so far so good!

This will really make things better!
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news there gbison! Can you show us your work? I'd love to see some animations in DeleD and/or torque. Very Happy

When you got things working, let me know so I can update this thread about DeleD pipelines.
harper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The collada exporter, that i use to export to torque, has a field for typing in a scaling factor. And when i have modelled a smaller house on about the half of the DeleD-grid and export it with factor 0,02 it fits nearly perfect in my t§d-world. You get a sense of how to scale bigger buildings or small things.
The rest of scaling i do freehand in the scene, with an avatar nearby. I never gave a thought to things like meters and units. As an "artist" i trust my eyes....
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As haper says, you have to trust your eyes... gain a feel for it. Avatars don't have peripheral vision, even in FP perspective, so most scenes seem cramped and as predators, we rely much on our wide angle view, without which, we are constantly nervous.
This is something I have observed for many years, and why WebCams don't work well, as you have another predator looking at you while you talk, in business meetings etc.

Scaling the scene by eye, when it feels right, it is, as you are comfortable with everything, from a predators point of 'view' Twisted Evil

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: