Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD Reply with quote

I have committed the new DeleD code ported for Lazarus into a new SVN branch :
https://svn.code.sf.net/p/deled/code/lazarus
Please check out and test. For example:
$ svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/deled/code/lazarus DeledLazarus
[Edit: Fixed new SourceForge URL]

The ReadMe.txt file explains how to get it running with Lazarus.
You need Lazarus trunk (development version) and one external component, Graphics32. Other required components are included in Lazarus (PascalScript and SynEdit).
There are also 2 log files under LazarusConversion directory about the automatic and manual conversions.

MDI windowing and docking does not really work now. This was an unexpected set-back. I was prepared to move to cross-platform porting next.
Also, Lazarus / LCL does not have Scanline. It must be implemented another way. There are instructions for it in Lazarus wiki.

I would be happy if other people start to improve this port. I hope Jeroen gives SVN write access for this branch to basically anyone who wants it.
If I work with this alone, it may never become ready. I have many things waiting on my ToDo list, I have used more time and energy for this port than I planned, and honestly I am not very good in graphics programming.
I am not very good in using 3-D drawing tools either.

You may wonder, "why is this guy porting a 3-D tool then?"
Good question. Mainly I am a Lazarus developer and this was originally a test case for the automatic Delphi converter.
Three important components were missing from LCL: ValueListEditor, CoolBar and ControlBar. I implemented them during this process. They were needed anyway but DeleD worked as a catalyst.
Fortunately DeleD did not use any exotic 3rd party components. All the required components are already ported to Lazarus and most of them are included in Lazarus distribution.
This made the porting not only possible but rather easy. I know some other Delphi apps that are practically impossible to port.

This all means that the Lazarus port of DeleD has already benefited Lazarus project, whatever will happen in future.
I honestly feel that the benefit could be mutual, an open source development tool would fit well for this open source project.
But, this is not important now. I will do my other priorities and let you digest this one.

Regards,
Juha Manninen

Last edited by JuhaManninen on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:54 am; edited 4 times in total
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD Reply with quote

Thank you JuhaManninen, you did an excellent job. Very Happy I'm also glad to hear DeleD contributed to the Lazarus project this way. Great news!

JuhaManninen wrote:
I would be happy if other people start to improve this port. I hope Jeroen gives SVN write access for this branch to basically anyone who wants it.

I will certainly give SVN write access to anyone wanting to work on the Lazarus port of DeleD. Just PM/email me and I'll set things up for you. Smile
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Juha, that is an awesome achievement mate! Kudos!!

cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
sternas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD Reply with quote

We prepare and CodeTyphon port
soon first results
sternas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD Reply with quote

And our CodeTyphon (lab ver 4.20) tests/fixes

We fix Win64 problems and image problems.
Now you can build DeleD for Windows32 and Windows64.

With a title work I think you can port DeleD and to Linux32/64 FreeBSD32/64 etc

Source and screens here:
http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/forum/3d-graphics-development/2408-deled-3d#3536

With our full support
Have fun...
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD Reply with quote

sternas wrote:

And our CodeTyphon (lab ver 4.20) tests/fixes
Source and screens here:
http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/forum/3d-graphics-development/2408-deled-3d#3536

Sternas, I am puzzled about the policy of your CodeTyphon project.
Why do you _always_ fork the other projects and never contribute back to the original project?
Often it does not make sense even from your point of view.
For example now you (and the whole team) would get commit access easily. You would have free hands to improve the code.
So, what is the benefit now to fork instead of becoming a developer of the original branch?

There is a discussion about this same topic in Lazarus mailing list.
I (and many others) would appreciate if you explain the situation at some point.

Regards,
Juha
Alexandros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Please test the new Lazarus port of DeleD Reply with quote

JuhaManninen wrote:
I have committed the new DeleD code ported for Lazarus into a new SVN branch :
https://deled.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/deled/lazarus
Please check out and test. For example:
$ svn co https://deled.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/deled/lazarus DeledLazarus

The ReadMe.txt file explains how to get it running with Lazarus.
You need Lazarus trunk (development version) and one external component, Graphics32. Other required components are included in Lazarus (PascalScript and SynEdit).
There are also 2 log files under LazarusConversion directory about the automatic and manual conversions.

MDI windowing and docking does not really work now. This was an unexpected set-back. I was prepared to move to cross-platform porting next.
Also, Lazarus / LCL does not have Scanline. It must be implemented another way. There are instructions for it in Lazarus wiki.

If I work with this alone, it may never become ready. I have many things waiting on my ToDo list, I have used more time and energy for this port than I planned, and honestly I am not very good in graphics programming.
I am not very good in using 3-D drawing tools either.

You may wonder, "why is this guy porting a 3-D tool then?"
Good question. Mainly I am a Lazarus developer and this was originally a test case for the automatic Delphi converter.
Three important components were missing from LCL: ValueListEditor, CoolBar and ControlBar. I implemented them during this process. They were needed anyway but DeleD worked as a catalyst.
Fortunately DeleD did not use any exotic 3rd party components. All the required components are already ported to Lazarus and most of them are included in Lazarus distribution.
This made the porting not only possible but rather easy. I know some other Delphi apps that are practically impossible to port.

This all means that the Lazarus port of DeleD has already benefited Lazarus project, whatever will happen in future.
I honestly feel that the benefit could be mutual, an open source development tool would fit well for this open source project.
But, this is not important now. I will do my other priorities and let you digest this one.

Regards,
Juha Manninen

Hi,
first of all congratulations for your job! Very Happy

I've a problem while building DeleD: I've downloaded Lazarus and the DeleD code. When I open the project, Graphics32 is missing, so I've deleted the package reference in the project and added the main .pas file of the library to the project. Now it compiles and builds DeleD, but when the executable starts, the top, front, side and bot windows are not docked and nothing is rendered inside them. I suppose Graphics32 is not working at all...
I've read that to use Graphics32 library is necessary to rebuild the whole Lazarus... is it the true? Neutral What's the correct way to include the library inside the project and build it?
I'm new to Delphi and Lazarus, so, I don't know exactly how to work with it... :-p

Any help is extremely appreciated! Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alexandros, welcome to these forums. Smile

Yeah, having a Lazarus port is great, even though I don't work on it myself. I don't know if the Lazarus programmers visit here very often. Hmm... does Juha have a website?
JuhaManninen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:

Yeah, having a Lazarus port is great, even though I don't work on it myself. I don't know if the Lazarus programmers visit here very often. Hmm... does Juha have a website?

Apparently Lazarus programmers do not visit here often, and DeleD programmers do not know much about FPC or Lazarus. I am actually surprised of the situation. I thought some authors of this now open source Delphi project would embrace Lazarus as a perfect match but no.

Sorry I haven't visited for some time either. I have been busy with other things and also kind of lost interest with this porting project because I did not see anybody else jumping in.
A website? No, I don't have a website. I don't even have a FaceBook account. Yet, I am doing "social media" in forums and mailing list of FPC, Lazarus and some others.

Alexandros wrote:

I've a problem while building DeleD: I've downloaded Lazarus and the DeleD code. When I open the project, Graphics32 is missing, so I've deleted the package reference in the project and added the main .pas file of the library to the project. Now it compiles and builds DeleD, but when the executable starts, the top, front, side and bot windows are not docked and nothing is rendered inside them. I suppose Graphics32 is not working at all...

Graphics32 works, but there indeed was a compilation problem earlier. I understood it is fixed but I haven't tried for a while.
Well, I remember also doing some preparation for cross-platform in my last SVN commit. It may have broken things. Please try the second last commit.
I should also collect energy again and look at the branch. However the fact remains that me alone cannot finish this porting project. Somebody with graphics / DeleD knowledge should join.

Quote:

I've read that to use Graphics32 library is necessary to rebuild the whole Lazarus... is it the true? Neutral What's the correct way to include the library inside the project and build it?

Lazarus must be rebuilt for packages that register components to its component palette. Other packages can be added as a dependency for a project, then they "inject" their unit search paths to the project.
Rebuilding Lazarus is easy and happens semi-automatically when installing a package for it.

Quote:

I'm new to Delphi and Lazarus, so, I don't know exactly how to work with it... :-p

If you are new to both Delphi and Lazarus, then you will have hard times with this experimental porting project.
Please learn to use at least Lazarus first. Working with packages, setting options, compiling a cross-platform project on different systems etc.
Lazarus forum and mailing list are very helpfull and the user base is increasing steadily.
BTW, Lazarus has some 10,000 downloads / week even now between releases. The next 1.4 release will make it sky-rocket again.
darkhog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm a Lazarus programmer, but don't know much about low-level 3D to do it right. But, Lazarus is pretty much open-source delphi (100% feature compatible with Delphi 7) and FPC can be set to use Delphi's dialect of Object Pascal by directive {$M Delphi).

So, Jeroen, if you haven't tried it, it's pretty much Delphi 7 but open-source.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Lazarus is a great initiative! Very Happy But as I'm developing DeleD Web Edition now, I use very different technology (Typescript, Web API etc).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: