Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ogre Mesh Exporter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Ogre Mesh Exporter Reply with quote

The Ogre Mesh Exporter is now available from the Downloads page.

Use this thread for any questions, feedback, criticism, wishes or thoughts you might have, and please report all bugs you might find.

As a first answer to most FAQ's, I'll copy-paste the readme.txt below:

Quote:

DELED OGRE MESH EXPORTER
========================

Installation
------------
Simply unzip the DLLs into the Plugin folder of your DeleD installation. In addition to the actual dll, a dedicated subfolder will be unzipped containing readme.txt and history.zip. The next time DeleD is started, the plugins will be loaded.

Usage & Options
---------------
Invoke the plugin from the DeleD Plugin menu. If this is the first time you invoke the plugin, a file-dialog will appear, allowing you to select a filename for your Ogre mesh file export. Depending on the selected file extension a .mesh or .XML file will be saved. For convenience reasons, the exporter remembers the name of the selected file. Next time you invoke plugin, you will automatically save to the same file, unless you select a different file using the browse (...) button.

The plugin window offers you the following set of options:

- Scale factor: You might want to adjust the scale of the mesh, so that it matches up with the rest of the scene when you load it into your target application. Use fractional numbers (0.5, 0.001, etc) to make objects smaller.

- Export Materials: If this option is turned off, the .material file is not exported.

- Material Path (relative): If the .material file should be placed in a different folder than the .mesh file, specify the relative path here. For example, when using the Ogre sample media folder structure you would specify "..\materials\scripts" here. If the specified folder does not exist, it will be created.

- Export Textures: If this option is turned off, the physical texture files won't be exported.

- Texture Path (relative): If textures should be placed in a different folder than the .mesh file, specify the relative path here. For example, when using the Ogre sample media folder structure you would specify "..\materials\textures" here. If the specified folder does not exist, it will be created.

- Export Lightmaps: If you have lightmaps generated for your current map, but don't want to export them, turn this option off. Note that when exporting a lightmapped level with this option turned off, the names of the materials will still be those of the lightmapped materials.

- Material Name Prefix: To keep the material resource names globally unique in your Ogre application, the exporter will prefix them with this string. Unless you have explicitly emptied this field, specifying you don't want a prefix at all, the prefix will default to the mesh file name whenever you select a new mesh/xml file to save to.

- Normals to Export: At this moment, DeleD only uses face normals internally. You can either choose to store those or have the exporter calculate smooth normals (smoothed on a per-submesh base). As there are probably better tools around for calculating normals, you can also opt to leave the normals out completely. Note that, due to the way normals are stored inside the vertex-data, exporting face normals will usually result in a slightly larger file than exporting smoothed normals.

The plugin will remember the options you last selected (it stores them in a .ini file).

If you press ok, the export will start. A progress bar will appear showing the export progress.

Source code
-----------
Full Delphi 6 sources are available at http://www.delgine.com. They are free for use in any commercial or non-commercial project.

Bug Reports and Feedback
------------------------
Found a bug? Got some suggestions? Either post them in the forum or contact me directly, at http://www.delgine.com

Paul-Jan Pauptit, 27-03-2005

N.B. The background logo used in the exporter form is a derivative from the original Ogre logo, as found in Samples/Media/materials/textures subfolder of the Ogre distribution. Visit http://www.ogre3d.org for more information.
louis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a problem.
I've installed the Plugin and it shows up just fine.
It launches when invoked however the OK button at the bottom remains greyed out
( or should that be greened out )

I've had a play with the parameteers on offer but to no avail.
I'd chosen the .mesh export route but I get the same problem with the XML route too.

Is there something I've missed that's not in the Read Me ?
I can see by the screen shot that you've got it working but has anyone else with a version 1.1 had a success with this ?

cheers
louis

P.S. sorry if this is just me ... well done, and thankyou.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ok button is disabled if you didn't specify a .mesh or .xml filename, or if the scale is not a valid floating point number. Could either one of these be true in your case?

Especially the filename: did you perhaps somehow specify a filename with a different extension?
Jim Coe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new 3DBA/Ogre exporter!
That was fast work! Nice set of features too Very Happy

Idea As mentioned, regarding the lack of alpha channel features - those alpha effects can be added manually later by the user, in the plain text .material file (called the "Material Script").

See the Ogre Manual and the Pelican Crossing (3DBA) forum and wiki for basic examples and docs of many 3DBA/Ogre materials scripting statements, including alpha blending and hard alpha (cut-outs).

Note that the (downloadable from ogre3d.org) 3DBA/Ogre Mesh Viewer requires that the .material file, .mesh file and any texture files be in the same folder. The Mesh Viewer will fail if more than 1 .material file is in the folder or if the texture file does not match the name in the .material file or is missing from the folder.

This is income tax time in cheeseburgerland (that would be the US of A) and i also just got my copy of Vue Pro 5 Infinite - but will try out this cool exporter as soon as possible.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Mesh Viewer will fail if more than 1 .material file is in the folder ...

I wish you had told me that before I learned it the hard way during a 6 hour non-stop debugging session last Friday, finally ending up testing with the Ogre Demo programs Laughing. Anyway, by default the mesh exporter exports both the .mesh and .material in the same folder, but indeed you have to be careful not to export multiple meshes in the same folder if you want to use the OgreMeshViewer.
Jim Coe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Wish i had too Shocked

It is mentioned a couple of places in the Pelican Crossing forum, but doesn't seem to be on the Ogre pages.

Heard there was some research on gamblers - seems they lose interest if they win too easily - remind you of programming? Mountain climbing?

Anyway extreme debugging resulted in an extremely valuable plugin Wink
Jim Coe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the 3DBA/Ogre exporter.
So simple Very Happy

1. Went to Prefabs in right palette and created a #4 pillar
2. Created a point light
3. Did Ctrl/Alt L to make a lightmap (set View in toolbar for "Lightmap")
4. Saved the scene
5. Selected the exporter from "Plugins" on the toolbar
6a. Gave it a folder location
6b. Left "relative path" folders entries all blank (to save all files to the 1 folder).
Left all checkmarks, to export all files (.mesh, material, texture, light map).
Tried scale of 10X - good one.
6c. Noticed "OK" button not lighted - opps, forgot to tell it what kind of file to export. Went to the file path in top box and added ".mesh" to my path. "OK" button lights up.
6d. Clicked on "OK" - quick progress meter and done.
7. Went into 3DBA/Ogre Mesh Viewer and got a perfect textured and lighted pillar object

Back in DeleD Lite, changed texture on pillar, redid the lightmap, exported again (this time with normals smoothed). No problems. Tried 3 more changes - no problems.

Works great!
Maybe some changes to remove potential "Gotcha's"?
Suggestions:
1. Maybe add a separate control for the file type (radio buttons?)
2. "Relative path" might confuse novices. Not sure how to deal with that.

Summary: Sweet plugin Exclamation
louis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Exclamation
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What can I say. Superb.
cheers and felicitations.
Brian
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the zip file, extracted contents to DeleDPro plugins folder. When I open the program, the file does not display in the Plugins menu. Any ideas? Regards Brian
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I think I might: what version of DeleD Pro are you using? The 1.0 version you downloaded from ShareIt?

The plugin requires DeleD 1.1 minimum (memo to self: should have mentioned that), so you will need to get the lastest DeleD PRO version from DownloadeD. Which is a smart thing to do anyway, as it had quite some bugs fixed and some features added.

You should have recieved an e-mail with instructions on how to log into DownloadeD on the 24th , hope it didn't get stuck in some spamfilter Wink
Brian
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul. No I did not receive an email about version 1.1. I had no knowledge of it's availability. However, after your post, I went to the shareit site and could not find the new version. The only and latest download version was 1.0. on their purchase section. I am having problems logging into my account there so I cannot say for sure that the download of the upgrade is there or not. Does the ExportOgreMesh plugin work in the Lite version? If it does, maybe I am better off going back to that version until I sort this problem out. Confused

Kind regards Brian
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Hi Paul. No I did not receive an email about version 1.1. I had no knowledge of it's availability. However, after your post, I went to the shareit site and could not find the new version. The only and latest download version was 1.0. on their purchase section. I am having problems logging into my account there so I cannot say for sure that the download of the upgrade is there or not. Does the ExportOgreMesh plugin work in the Lite version? If it does, maybe I am better off going back to that version until I sort this problem out. Confused

Kind regards Brian

You should have received an email from Delgine with your login info for DownloadeD. That's the Customers area on the Delgine site - look for it in the Customers menu on the main Delgine site. DownloadeD contains additional files for use with DeleD, as well as updates. DeleD PRO 1.1 can be downloaded there as well which will solve this particular problem.

So in short: customers buy DeleD PRO from Share-it and can always get the latest version from DownloadeD. Smile

We will resend the email with the needed info!
Brian
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Paul. I will do that right now. Keep up the good work, you guys are doing great. Kind regards Brian
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resend the mail (to the e-mail address you specified in the share-it buying form). If it doesn't reach you, or if you have any problems with DownloadeD or the update, don't hesitate to contact us! Feel free to use direct mail for urgent things like this, you can reach us at paul (or Jeroen) [at] delgine [dot] com. Smile
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: New version of the plugin released Reply with quote

I just put a new version of the plugin online. Changes:

- removed the 'disabled ok button' state and replaced it by validation messages when the user hits ok
- added a browse button to the two relative path fields
- spaces in texture names are now replaced with underscores (Ogre doesn't like them)
- fixed flipping of the scene over the z-axis

That last and most important issue, was reported by Brian. Thanks! Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: