Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manleystanley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: I'm done Reply with quote

I don't know what it is, but I give up on modeling. It has to be something with my system, but DeleD has went the same rout as every other modeling prog I've had on this comp. It has quit saving model meshes. I haven't got a clue why, but over the last couple of months every modeling program and converter I put on my comp does the same thing, after a couple of weeks, all they will save is lights and cameras. And no amount of uninstaling/reinstalling will fix it.
Right now I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why. But I've tried every thing I can think of and now it's down to reinstalling windows. If this dosen't fix it, I will have to give up trying to do any modeling.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused That's the first I've heard of such a problem! Every modelling program does so? That doesn't make sense...

What OS are you using + which version of DeleD?
manleystanley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP, DeleD lite. Yes, it makes absolutly no sence. It's has made no sence to anyone I ask about it. There is no explanation I can find. But none the less, Metasequoia 2.3b, 2.1, wings3d, 3dsmax demo, 3dwin5 {thought was another problem}, 3dexplorer, deep explorer, and a few otheres, have all done the same thing. With in a couple of weeks of installing they wont save the models mesh; or wont save them in a readable form. I don't get any error messages, just no model. Yes there is a file, but it is just lighting and camera position.

I'm backing up my files; an all day affair. Then I'm going to reinstall windows. No idea what else to do. I have run out of options. I could give a list of what all I have done, but if you can think of it I have probebly tried it.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we focus on DeleD alone, what seems to be the problem?
1. Doesn't create the file at all
2. Creates the file but fills it with garbage
3. Creates the file, fills it with partial information, then stops / starts writing garbage?

I'd also suggest you get filemon from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml and monitor your disk activity, to see if disk access is successful (and if not, why not).
handless
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to reinstall windows, It would probably be a good idea to reformat your harddrive to. You have to delete all partitions and then create a new one, after that, reformat and install windows. Makes the computer run much better. Should do that once every 6 months, I believe.

But Remember to back EVERYTHING up!
dirkk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please don't get me wrong - but did you check the space on your hard disk? Is there space left - especially on the windows partition?
manleystanley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another chapter in the surealisiam that is my life. Before I wiped my HDD to reinstall windows I reinstalled my graphics drives. saw there was an up date and updated. Didn't fix it.I got most everything backed up, but I'm sure to mised some files.
Scence I had reinstalled the graphics drives I ran it through again. Deep explorer again loaded no model, just lights and camera. Opened the .x for a good look at it and saw 2 sky materials, and no frame. opened the origenal .x, there was the frame, opened a few more, same thing. All other .x had a "frame" except DeleD. Just for fun, I took the origenal .x ran it through deep explorer and saved. Opened it in deled and the sky drum was now on it's bottom rather then it's side, saved with DeleD and it was fine, there was my "frame" This may have been the problem I was having with the other modeling programs, they just quit saving the model frame and just saved the mesh, lights, and camera. Not sure why running it through Deep explorer fixed it.
Got it to x2dk4 and got an error, couldn't load the ini file; it's always something.
This also leads to another question for a different thread.
If anyone is interested I have ,x's from dxedit [dk4 to .x}, the saved .x from DeleD, the converted .x before and after Deled, and the transcribed .x for x2dk4.

I hope this is fixed, but I'm sure it will work fine till the first time I get x2dk4 to run right, them something else will go wrong.
manleystanley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting so frustrating then even pigheaded me is about to give up on it. I down loaded DeleD to get away from all the conversions to get a dk4edit .x into a modeling program, then from there to x2dk4. But it seems to get it to work now I'm right back to doing several conversions, and am back to the same problem, losing info in all the conversions.
Right now my work flow is dk4edit to deep explorer to DeleD to deep explorer to directx edit to x2dk4. But I still get a directx 787 error. Sad

It would be nice if this http://www.gp500store.co.uk/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=7 dk4 file converter could be used to make a import/export plugin. It would be so nice if I could just go from the dk4 to a .x ready for xtodk4. Note: you may have to regester to down load.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you go through so many conversions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
manleystanley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because if I don't I end up with a DeleD .x nothing will render. And even if I run the .x through Deep ex before I import it to DeleD I still endup wit a .x that isn't in a form I can edit with dirextx to be used by x2dk4. And after all of that my track model no longer has any textures, as they get lost somewhere in Deep ex land. .
manleystanley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've figured out what the problem is and how someone could fix it. The only thing that is needed is for DeleD to export the .x with frames. This would not only solve my problem but everyone elses that can't get the .x to render. it seems quite a few programs that render .x have to have the meshes in frame.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manleystanley wrote:
Well I've figured out what the problem is and how someone could fix it. The only thing that is needed is for DeleD to export the .x with frames. This would not only solve my problem but everyone elses that can't get the .x to render. it seems quite a few programs that render .x have to have the meshes in frame.
Why not just take 3 hours, and write a program to load your deled saved files, and then save them properly into the format you need them to be in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
manleystanley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't have a clue where to begin.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manleystanley wrote:
Wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

Are you a coder? Confused

You'd begin by looking up the .x file format spec. Then you just have to write a small program that

1) Loads the .x file.
2) Parses it and stores it in memory however you need it
3) Writes it back out to a new .x file, however you need it done
manleystanley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not a coder, I'm an artist Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: